Happy Valentine's Day to all! I hope your day is filled with love and plenty of sweets. My brain has been overflowing with ideas for this day and before I knew it, it was here! With only a little time left to squeeze another cute and yummy treat in, I was inspired by Miss Sandra Lee and did a little semi-homemade baking because I couldn't resist the adorableness of these itty bitty baby sandwich cookies.
You see, I'm the type of person that you could put a huge plate of food in front of or a small plate of food in front of and would eat the whole thing either way. I never liked to waste food, so now I try to stick to smaller dishes so I don't feel compelled to lick the whole thing clean and then have to roll myself to bed at the end of the day. (But, no one ever said I couldn't go back for seconds!) This inspired me to downsize the traditional sandwich cookie into a pint-sized version, still bursting with just as much sweetness and love. This way you'll have more to share and less to feel guilty about. Not in the mood to share? I also provided the information for the big boys. ;)
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add cake mix, eggs, and butter to bowl and mix well (don't be alarmed, they are pretty tough to mix together)
- Drop teaspoon sized balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (I used a melon baller and rolled them with my hands after)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes for the mini version (10-12 if you drop spoonful sizes for the larger version)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 1lb. Box of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- In a mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar and mix until smooth.
To assemble after letting the cookies cool, just put the filling into a plastic bag, snip the corner and pipe onto the flat size of one cookie. Gently press another cookie on top and either decorate, eat, or share! No matter what you do, definitely enjoy them.
Adapted from: Bakerella