Monday, February 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes


I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before, but in case you forgot, I am a cupcake fanatic.  I've had my eye on these guys for a while and the other day at the grocery store I was compelled to grab everything I needed to make these.  Speaking of grocery store, I find it funny that now that I am living on my own, I look forward to go grocery shopping.  Unfortunately there are not many Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby, so I usually have to plan to make a trip there.  But, luckily the bank I work in is in a grocery store, so I'm not that deprived.  I'm sure my love of food has changed my disposition about trips to the store, because as a child that was the one way my mom really drove me crazy.  Saturday trips to go food shopping.  Of course I thought at the ripe age of 7 I was more than mature to stay home alone (a kid mind is amusing), but unfortunately she didn't agree and dragged my brother and me along every single week.  (Although I'm sure she wished she could have left us home).  What's all the gabbing with the grocery store have to do with these cupcakes?  Well, like I've mentioned before, the way to my heart is through my stomach, and I loooooved that the Stop&Shop bakery gave out free cookies.  It's really too bad there weren't more freckle faced, red-headed children in my town or else I definitely would have tried going back for seconds.  I have always loved sweets, whether they were cookies from the grocery store or cupcakes coming out from my oven, I wanted them all to myself.  So, what better way celebrate a love for all things delicious then to combine the two!?  I know, sheer genius!

These little guys are yummmmmmy.  If you're more of a vanilla cake person, go for it!  I assure you they'll knock your socks off either way.  For these I used a chocolate cake base and put a little surprise on the inside.  The cookie on top is just a teaser for when you actually take a bite and find an adorable, delectable little cookie dough ball inside.  Ahhhh-mazing!  They are topped with a basic vanilla buttercream.  Well, I shouldn't say basic.  By basic I mean easy and delicious, unfortunately vanilla has a bad rep for being "plain," but this is the perfect compliment to the cake, cookie dough, and mini chocolate chips.  I wish I could always have my house smell like it did after baking these (get on that, Yankee Candle).


For the Chocolate Cupcakes:

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cups with cupcake liners.
  2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
  3. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
Source:  Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake


For the filling:
  • 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 6 tbsp. light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
  • To make the cookie dough filling, combine the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  
  • Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth.  
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.  
  • Roll into teaspoon sized balls.
  • Split the dough in half (some to bake, some to refrigerate)
  • Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mixture has firmed up a bit, about an hour.
  • Bake other half at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
Source: Annie's Eats

For the Frosting:

Directions:
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.
  • Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
For the Garnish:
  • Garnish your cupcakes with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and a mini chocolate chip cookie.
(Notes:)
If you plan on garnishing the cupcakes, be sure to right after frosting or else the top layer of the buttercream will harden and the mini chocolate chips won't stick.

Source: My Baking Addiction

If you haven't looked at Annie's Eats or My Baking Addiction before you definitely should check out their blogs.  They are filled with delicious food and desserts!

1 comment: