Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Molten Chocolate Lava Cake


Ooh, you caught me!  I am currently ordering pants at least three times bigger than the size I wear now because I am seriously in love with making and devouring this cake.  It's amazing that this has so few ingredients and takes no time to whip up.  That's probably not a good thing in my case because it means I will be making it, a lot.  Looks like it's time to head to Home Depot and put locks on all the cabinets!  But if I were ever to do a thing like that, it would mean I wouldn't have any delicious posts for you to read, so being the selfless person I am..I will make the sacrifice for the good of the readers and chocolate lovers out there!  (I know, it's such a huge sacrifice to eat cake..poor me!)

But honestly, you see versions of Lava Cakes on most every restaurant's dessert menu and it's just something that seems so decadent, indulgent, and impressive (which it is), so I never imagined it could be so easy to make.  I first decided to try this recipe after dinner the other night for my Valentine, and he ate it right up.  It was a really close call who licked their plate clean first.  I was so happy with the outcome that I made it again to share with you...then proceeded to eat it right up.  It was just as good as I remembered!  I apologize because I must be putting you all into sugar comas with my recent posts...I'm sure you don't mind all that much, but I'll follow up all the sweet with some savory, promise. :)

PS: I'm obviously a total sucker for bokeh.  I'm sure you have noticed by now. 

(On a side note, I tend to be an impulsive buyer, but this time I was very pleased with myself that I had purchased a few little porcelain ramekins from Target out of the blue and had everything on hand to make these ooey, gooey cakes.  I hope that helps if you are wondering where you can get a few for yourself!)



Active time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 35 Minutes
Yields: 4 six-ounce cakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably Valrhona
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Butter and lightly flour four 6-ounce ramekins. Tap out the excess flour. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
  2. In a double boiler, over simmering water, melt the butter with the chocolate. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar and salt at high speed until thickened and pale.
  3. Whisk the chocolate until smooth. Quickly fold it into the egg mixture along with the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 12 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold. Serve immediately.
(Note:  I dusted mine with a little confectioners sugar after plating them.  Completely optional)

Make Ahead:

  • The batter can be refrigerated for several hours; bring to room temperature before baking. 
Source: Food & Wine

1 comment: