Monday, January 10, 2011

Mint Chocolate Brownies


I don't know what it is about the winter, but it makes me instantly crave mint-chocolate flavored and/or scented goodies.  West Soy's chocolate peppermint stick soy milk is always is my cabinets after Thanksgiving and stays there until I drink the whole supply dry (which usually doesn't take long).  Whether it's mint tea, soy peppermint mocha lattes, minty soap, mint chapstick, mint lotion...I have it and I love it, especially during this time of the year.  I decided to make these brownies for Dave and his co-workers because those army men have big appetites!  I took a little tip from my mom when making these and doubled the brownie recipe.  It's something she has always done, even with boxed recipes, and her brownies were always the best of the best.  The biggest, the richest, the fudgiest, chewiest, and most delicious brownies of the bunch hands down.  So, I followed her footsteps and did the same and I swear each brownie weighed about a pound each.  These definitely need a glass of (soy) milk on stand by!  I doubled the recipe for the mint glaze since I baked my brownies in a 9x13 pan (like I said, those guys have big appetites!), but next time I think I'll have to do it quadruple it so there is a thicker layer.  This recipe calls for a 9x9 pan, but I doubled it to make some big ole' brownies in my 9x13, so you can make enough for you and a friend or two, or to feed an army...take your pick!  Just be sure to enjoy!


Mint Chocolate Brownies
Adapted from My Baking Addiction, adapted from The Joy of Baking
Brownie Layer:
  • 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 4 ounces (114 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup (70 grams) all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mint Layer:
  • 2 tablespoons(28 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup (115 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
  • 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract or 1-2 tablespoons crème de menthe
  • green food coloring (optional)

Chocolate Glaze:
  • 3 ounces (90 grams) semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter

Garnish:
  • chopped Andes Mints (optional)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Have ready a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) square baking pan that has been lined with aluminum foil across the bottom and up two opposite sides of the pan. Set aside.

Brownies:
In a stainless steel (heatproof) bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla extract. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (with a wooden spoon) after each addition. Stir in the flour and salt and beat, with a wooden spoon, until the batter is smooth and glossy and comes away from the sides of the pan (about one minute). Pour the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until the brownies start to pull away from the sides of the pan and the edges of the brownies are just beginning to brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies will come out almost clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to completely cool.

Mint Layer:
In the bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat all the ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops of green food coloring if you want the frosting green. If the frosting is too thick, add a little extra cream. (The frosting should be just thin enough to spread.) Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled brownie layer. Place in the refrigerator for about 5-10 minutes or until firm.

Chocolate Glaze:
In a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Spread over the mint filling and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate glaze starts to dull.

To Serve:
Remove the brownies from the pan by lifting with the ends of the foil and transfer to a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut into 30 squares. It is a good idea to wipe your knife between cuts with a damp cloth. These brownies can be stored in the refrigerator for several days or else frozen.

Makes about 30 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares.

1 comment:

  1. I am always on the lookout for great brownie recipes and this looks like a real winner! Your mom and I got our brownie making skills (and I would like to challenger her to a bake off) from our mother, whose brownies are always in demand! I am glad to see that you are carrying on the tradition!

    Love

    Auntie Susan

    ReplyDelete