Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Key Lime Cupcakes and Whipped Cream flavored Vodka Frosting


Hey!  Remember me?  I hope you do!  Really though, I hope you all didn't forget about me because I promise I didn't forget about you!  (...although that seems like a big old crock, I swear I didn't!)  I wouldn't be surprised if I slipped your mind and I should probably start off by acknowledging just how much time has passed since I paid any attention to my baking.  (Holy s#!^, it has been a LONG WHILE!)  Now I don't like to make excuses, especially for my slacking...BUUUUUT the past couple of months have been beyond chaotic/grueling/insane/life-changing/etc etc.  I hope I can jog your memory of me and finally get back to the grind of doing what I love to do!  And I hope most of all that you will forgive me for being MIA.  :)

Now I don't want to give you a big old laundry list of reasons that led to my temporary disappearance, but I do feel I owe somewhat of an explanation since this is my blog and I like to have it be a little more than just a (pardon me for this next one) "sugar-coated" version of myself.  Yeah yeah yeah, you guys care about the food, I know..but at least lemme think you care about the crazy girl behind the blog itself!  (Come on, I know you do, even if just a liiiiiittle bit :) ) Let me begin by saying that turning 21 was one contributing factor to my absence.  I've spent quite a bit of my spare time enjoying the perks of being "of-age"...but I figure I can combine the best of both worlds and put that added advantage to good use on here.  Guess what that means?  Yes, you got it folks...alcohol inspired recipes!  Tis the season, correct?  Yes, that's right..I thought so too. :)

Along with spending my free time galavanting around with my horizontal ID, I have been putting in more hours at work, I moved back home with mom and dad, and most importantly I have been trying to get myself situated with school.  I am VERY happy to say that after graduating this spring, I will now be attending Johnson and Wales  University for their Business Management program and I will be starting their Culinary Nutrition program the following year.  That means someone will have a pretty full plate for the next few years (I know I know, again I apologize for the corny pun! But really though, I'm not that  sorry ;) )...and I am SO looking forward to working towards those degrees and my future!  Maybe someday, if dreams come true, you'll know my name for more than just being that silly girl who fell off the blogosophere for a few months. 

So, ya see...I've been a busy little bee lately, but I hope to never abandon ship (well, abandon "blog" really, but you  know the point I was trying to make....I think) like that again!  And most importantly, I hope you will continue to follow me and my rambling thoughts on here for the long haul.  :)


 Now, on to the good stuff!  This past weekend was one of my dearest friend's 25th birthday and I knew I wanted to make something fun and festive for the occasion.  Not only is she an inspirational and supportive friend to have, but she literally has a contagious personality.  The little ray of sunshine she is always brightens up any room she's in and literally just exudes positivity and happiness (she can't fight the hippie within her!).  So, when I was trying to conjure up some deliciously summer/sunshine inspired treat, my mind went a million miles a minute.  And then, it hit me. My inspiration came from the martini that gave me the worst hangover of my life.  Odd, right?  Most people can't drink/eat things that make them sick, but not me!  I thought a key lime martini (or 5) sounded great, and transforming it into a cupcake sounded just as delicious...so, I did!  Big success, and I suggest you try them too!  Especially if you're looking for a scrumptious treat for a summer gathering and like the idea of boozey cupcakes. :)


 Ingredients:

Key Lime Cupcakes
adapted from Bon Appetit, Sept 2008
  • 1 ¾ cups cake flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) cool unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs (room temperature)
  • 2 ½ tablespoons key lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon key lime zest
  • 1 drop green food coloring paste
  • ¾ cup buttermilk (room temperature)
Adapted by: My Madison Bistro

Whipped Cream Vodka Frosting:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 4-5 cups confectioners sugar
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 4 shots Pinnacle Whipped Cream flavored vodka (this is to preference.  The flavor of the vodka really doesn't stand out but it does add a lot of vanilla and sweetness to the frosting)

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
  • Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt three times, set aside.
  • Using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on low until it’s softened a bit. Add the sugar and increase the speed to medium. Beat until fluffy, about four minutes. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the lime juice, zest, and food coloring and beat until mixed. (The mixture will look curdled.)
  • Add the flour in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour, scraping down the bowl as necessary. Mix on low until just combined. Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
  • Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool completely.
For frosting:
  • Cream together butter and shortening until fluffy
  • Add cream cheese
  • Gradually add sugar (1/2 cup at a time) and alternate with lime juice/shots
  • Add sugar until you have desired consistency.  Add more lime juice/shots if frosting is too thick, adjust to taste


2 comments:

  1. These are just too adorable and look incredibly delicious! So glad to be your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 21st and welcome back!! I remember you! :)) The cupcakes look so yummy-good!!

    ReplyDelete