I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it seems to finally be getting to that time of the year for enjoying warm nights outside by a bonfire with friends...which of course means S'MORES! (YAY!) A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine and I took a trip down to our friend's house for what we thought was going to be a warm and sunny Sunday Funday. After the absolutely wretched winter we had, we all had such high hopes of sitting outside in the sun having a few drinks together and just enjoying being outside. Well, it was absolutely beautiful out the whole drive down, but of course once we finally got there we found ourselves bundling up in sweatshirts and jackets so we could sit outside comfortably. Oh New England weather, you slay me.
With a few handy men around the house, a fire pit was soon built and we were enjoying some grilling, games, and good times. There's just something about the smell of a bonfire that makes you really itch for the summer and to me, I instantly want s'mores..and lots of them! Who really cares that you have to wash your clothes and hair a few times to get the smokey smell out? Not me! It's totally worth it (in my eyes...and tummy) and ever since that day I had been seriously craving the sweet and gooey deliciosity of the classic camp fire treat. I really wanted all of the components of that perfect little family favorite, but was looking to make a sweet little twist. When I found these cookies I knew I needed to make them. And now you need to, too. Seriously! I mean it...you will have people begging for more. I didn't even want to eat one because I knew I'd clean out the whole batch before I got to share them, so after giving some to co-workers and friends I kept a couple for myself and damn, these are some yummy, chewy, ooey, gooey, chocolatey, awesome cookies! Campfire not required. (But definitely adds to the fun!)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups miniature chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Hershey bars, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt, and dash of cinnamon.
- In a second larger bowl beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, and remove from the oven.
- Push 3 to 4 marshmallows and a few pieces of hershey bar into each cookies.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-4 minutes until fully cooked.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.
Source: Baked Perfection